Opening Christmas gifts can be exciting, especially if you got something that you really want.
Andrew Bowman, a 24-year-old man from Molalla, Oregon was so thrilled with the new gun cleaning kit he received that he immediately tested it out on his firearm. Things went wrong, however, after the gun fired and he accidentally shot his 2-year-old niece on the face.
After a quick 911 call, the little girl was immediately taken to the Portland’s Oregon Health & Science University hospital via a LifeFlight helicopter where she underwent a surgery. Fortunately for her, police authorities have said that the shot was non-fatal.
Bowman admitted that he unintentionally pulled the trigger while he was cleaning his pistol. The bullet penetrated a coffee cup and then went straight into the child’s cheek. He was in shock when that happened. So far, the family showed no indication of filing a criminal case against him.
Hopefully, this serves as a warning for all gun owners out there. If you are cleaning your firearm, make sure that it isn’t loaded with a live round. Your loved one’s life can be at serious danger with just a small accident so don’t take the risk.